Is It Safe to Use Baby Wipes
– Can baby wipes be dangerous?
– What are the healthy alternatives to baby wipes?
Many parents have adopted baby wipes. They are practical and can be used outside without water. But they are toxic, both to the environment and to babies.
This tip tells you what you may not have known about commercial baby wipes.
Can baby wipes be dangerous?
EGPhE is a dangerous preservative. The French National Agency for the Safety of Medicines and Health Products (ANSM) advises that phenoxyethanol, or EGPhE, should no longer be used in cosmetic products intended for the seat of children under the age of three. However, manufacturers continue to include this toxic preservative in wipes:
– However, when applied to the skin, this preservative passes the skin barrier.
– The absorption is exceptionally high with products that do not rinse, which alerts the ANSM.
– However, it is precisely the case with baby wipes!
Baby wipes infested with toxic substances
Phenoxyethanol, also called “phenoxytol” or “EGphE,” can be toxic to red blood cells, the liver, fertility, and development:
– Always see if you see phenoxyethanol, “phenoxytol,” or “EGphE” among the ingredients. If this is the case, avoid buying the product. This control should now be much easier since December 20, 2019. The labeling of wipes must indicate that they should not be used on the buttocks of children 3 years or younger if they contain phenoxyethanol.
– Also, be aware that wipes may contain parabens, also used as preservatives, suspected of being endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, and allergens.
– Finally, cleansing wipes may contain allergenic fragrances, especially for your baby’s sensitive skin.
Note: In addition, wipes are non-biodegradable, non-recyclable, and relatively expensive if you add up their cost over the months and years.
What are the healthy alternatives to baby wipes?
Want to ditch baby wipes? Here are some ideas.
Wipes aren’t essential for your baby’s hygiene:
– A washcloth, water, and eco-friendly soap, without additives or preservatives, are acceptable.
– It is straightforward and is the solution adopted by many communities (daycare centers, daycare centers, etc.).
– With this material, you preserve your baby’s skin and health while guaranteeing perfect hygiene.
Outside the home
If you don’t have water on hand, combining an ecological cleaning product that doesn’t need to be rinsed is best.
Here are some ideas for baby no-rinse cleansers: liniment oléocalcaire, organic baby cleansing lotion, and organic micellar lotion.
Washable wipes: an excellent investment
Washable wipes have two sides, one to impregnate the cleansing lotion and one to dry:
– They can be bought in stores and washed like washcloths.
– If you don’t have a washable wipe, you can use a cotton square (but it’s less ecological) or a very soft washcloth.
– And when baby is clean, you can keep them to clean a wound during an outing or to soak them with your make-up remover.
Good to know: you can easily make your wipes from an old towel, a piece of fleece, or bamboo. And after use, just put them in a small bag (which can be fabric or not).
- How to Choose Your Baby’s Clothes;
- How to Choose Your Baby’s Perfume;
- How to Take Care of Baby’s Hygiene;
- 4 Steps to Bath Baby;
- Choosing a Hiking Baby Carrier;
- How to Decorate Baby’s Room;
- Which Paint to Choose for Baby’s Room;
- How to Spot and Treat Cradle Cap on Baby’s Scalp;
- The Baby World Is Going Green;
- Are Cosmetics Toxic for Baby;
- How to Choose a Babysitter?