Did you know that in the United States, one in five children does not get a place in daycare? Sad but true! It is, therefore, essential for you as a parent to always have a plan B. You guessed it; a nanny is your best option. But do you know how to choose one? Here are the 5 most important things to check before hiring a nanny.
The idea of entrusting your child to someone you don’t know is a little annoying, so choosing the right nanny you can trust is important. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn some of our best tips to help you find your perfect match.
The first criterion to consider when looking for a nanny is how close she is to your home or workplace. It sounds like a detail, but it’s actually a real must! And here’s why:
- You save a lot of time: you save the time spent on the journey, precious minutes you can enjoy with your little one.
- You can intervene quickly: when your nanny is close by, it is an assurance for you that in case of a problem, you are not far away and that you will be able to go quickly to the place.
- She knows the area: she will be able to manage very well if car trips are necessary (to go to the park)
Having your child looked after at home is also an excellent alternative. Your child will be more comfortable because he will be in his own world, where he has all his landmarks: his bed, toys, and even his favorite naughty corners. Your absence will be much better accepted.
2. The schedule
When you’re about to hire a nanny, make sure her schedule and yours are compatible. Some nannies are also mothers and may be unavailable on certain days of the week, so discuss this before making any arrangements. If you need the services of a nanny at atypical times (early morning, late evening, weekend), consider using a professional nanny at home who will be able to adapt to your needs.
Trusting your nanny is the biggest step you’ll ever take as a parent. After all, you’re leaving your child in the hands of a stranger. Here are a few things to look out for when comparing and determining if your nanny is the right person for you and your little munchkin:
- Her home: if you are babysitting your child at the nanny’s home, it is your right to visit the home. You will be able to observe the place dedicated to babysitting, its cleanliness, the maintenance, the equipment, and the toys at your disposal…
- Her children: it is always very useful to meet the nanny’s children if she has any or the children she looks after with yours. You will be able to see her way of working with the little ones.
- Her former clients: you can also contact parents who have had their children looked after by this nanny in the past. Their testimonials will be invaluable and help you a lot in your decision-making.
4. Safety knowledge
When you are a parent, you tend to always imagine the worst. Indeed, domestic accidents are frequent with children who are always curious to discover and try everything. It is, therefore, more reassuring for you to know that you have a great nanny who knows about home safety and who will be able to react quickly in case of a problem. You can assess her knowledge during the interview by asking how she would react to situations such as choking, falling, or burning.
As subjective as this criterion may seem, it is nevertheless very decisive. Your first impressions, as well as your child’s first impressions of the nanny, will contribute greatly to the decision. The way she greets you and the way she approaches your child will tell you a lot about her. Don’t hesitate to ask her how a typical day with children goes, what her routines are, and what activities she offers.
Sure, safety is a priority, but it’s just as important to have a nanny who participates in your child’s sensory and emotional development and awareness. Finally, discuss all the details of your contract beforehand (the cost of the childcare). Many parameters are not fixed and result from a common agreement with your nanny, such as paid vacations, allowances, etc. Setting everything up from the start to maintain a good relationship with your great nanny is important.
Looking for help?
Are you in Melbourne? Are you looking for the perfect daycare center for your little munchkin? Then, look no further than Anderson Road Care Center. They are the premier daycare center in Melbourne, providing first-class childhood education and an integrated kindergarten program to children from 3 months to 5 years old.
So, what are you waiting for? Give your little one the education and care they deserve, and give Anderson Road Care Center a call now. They will allow your children to thrive in a creative and positive center, and what more could you ask as a working parent? So, give them a ring for more information.