What Is Hospitalization at Home
– What is hospitalization at home?
– Hospitalization at home: who is concerned?
– Conditions of the agreement for hospitalization at home
– Hospitalization at home: who makes the decision?
– Price and coverage of this hospitalization
The primary purpose of hospitalization at home is to help the person stay home and avoid or shorten hospitalization in an institution.
What is hospitalization at home?
Hospitalization at home is an alternative care structure to hospitalization, which aims to provide essential medical and paramedical care at home.
This home hospitalization is envisaged for a limited period but is renewable depending on the individual’s evolution and state of health.
Good to know: duration in time from one to twenty days renewable and only with the agreement of the patient and the family.
Hospitalization at home: who is concerned?
Hospitalization at home can concern:
– home care for the elderly,
– home care for disabled people,
– home care for people suffering from long-term illnesses.
For which types of pathology?
Several types of pathology can be treated by hospitalization at home: cancer, orthopedics, perinatal, neurology, geriatrics, cardiology, and psychiatry.
For what types of care?
– Punctual care: non-stabilized illness, technical and complex care for a predetermined period (example: chemotherapy or antibiotic therapy).
– Rehabilitation care at home: after the acute phase of cardiac or neurological disease or orthopedic treatment.
– Palliative care, which concerns the accompaniment at the end of life.
Conditions of the agreement for hospitalization at home
Several admission criteria are studied for hospitalization at home.
– The attending physician or hospital physician:
◦ He or she is the one who decides to hospitalize the patient at home.
◦ It is he who decides that the patient’s health condition does not require a hospital stay.
– The social worker: will investigate whether the housing (equipment and conditions) allows the patient to remain at home.
– The patient and the family agree to hospitalization at home.
Good to know: for this to be possible, the patient must reside in a geographical area covered by a home hospitalization structure with enough beds to accommodate him/her in case of problems.
Hospitalization at home: who makes the decision?
The coordinating doctor of the hospitalization structure, to which the patient is attached, makes the decision based on a therapeutic project (individualized care and support program).
For the admission conditions to be met, the patient:
– notifies his agreement in writing;
– must obtain an agreement from his or her health insurance fund to be reimbursed.
Price and coverage of this hospitalization
The conditions of coverage for hospitalization at home are the same as those applied to the hospital, i.e.:
– 80% like all other hospitalizations,
– 100% if your situation entitles you to this type of coverage (long-term illness, etc.)
However, the patient will still have to pay for: the hospital fee and comfort costs (private room, TV, telephone).